Wednesday, June 13, 2012

"fruits" from the garden

Sadly, not my garden.  I don't even have a garden and the last time I checked, none of my flowers were sprouting fruits or veggies.

This yummy snack was from my friends garden!! She was sweet enough to give me some. 

I cucumbers!
They're so refreshing to eat.


These were washed, peeled, sliced and seasoned with salt, pepper and lemon.......DELISH!!

Cucumber facts:

Fruit or Veggie

From a scientific perspective the part of the cucumber plant that we enjoy is a fruit. The cucumber has seeds and is formed from the flower of the plant. At the same time, a cucumber is a vegetable as well. How can a cucumber be a fruit and a vegetable you might ask? The term vegetable is solely used in culinary terms so as far as cooking is concerned, a fruit can be a vegetable, but scientifically speaking, the cucumber is a fruit.

Much of the nutritional value of the cucumber is found in the skin. 
Cucumbers are high in vitamins A and C, calcium, and fiber.
Mostly water and nutritional yumminess, cucumbers are very low in calories.
  • Cucumber Fact #1 : Cucumbers are natural diuretics used to help lose weight!
  • Cucumber Fact #2 : Cucumbers sold in supermarkets are coated with a thin layer of wax for preservation that gives the cucumber an unnatural shine. Most of the cucumbers in the home garden are naturally dull green.
  • Cucumber Fact #3 : Soak slicing cucumbers in salt water before slicing to suck some of the moisture out of the cucumber. Sliced cucumbers leak water when sliced.
  • Cucumber Fact #4 : Sliced cucumbers release water and can be used to moisturize the skin. Slices of cucumber placed on the eyes is a common remedy for wrinkles around the eyes.
Enjoy some today!

***********************************

Wow....who knew that my 200th post would be about cucumbers!!  lol!!  I'm happy to have this blog to share tid-bits from my life, share my crafts/recipes or post sillyness from the day!  Thank you to everyone that has become a new reader of AboutBloggingTime!!  I try my best to respond to each and everyone that comments....even when you have a no reply or no email to reply to, I reply on the post.  So don't think that I don't read them.
It's the middle of the year, I wonder how many posts I'll have by December......hmmm that's sounds like I just challenged myself. (",)   

Everyone have a great day!

Pin It

12 comments:

  1. Happy 200th post - love that it was on cucumbers (and great friends who give). Too cute!

    Happy seeing beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's to the cucumber!!!

    Aloha,
    Following ya from the hop. We're sharing a cup of something warm and yummy, ($10 Starbucks Giftcard =), a link up with friends and tons of sunshine if you're up for a visit I'd love to have ya with us. Come by anytime.

    xo,
    Nicole
    localsugarhawaii.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Nicole!!

      Thanks for stopping by, gladly returning the follow.

      Delete
  3. Hi! Thanks for stopping by my blog! I'm a new follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE cucumbers! They are an absolute summer staple for me and my fam :) Great too too and thanks so much for the follow! Following you back now too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are growing cucumbers in our garden this year...I just picked 4 today. I slice them up with the skin on and dip them in my favorite salad dressing. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this. My mom used to do this with salt, pepper and apple cider vinegar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Laura,

      Yeah, my mom does the same too!!

      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  7. I <3 cucumbers!! I can eat them plain! LOL

    I am a new follower that found you through That Friday Blog Hop! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stacy,

      Thanks for stopping by!! I just became a follower on Pinterest and through email.

      Delete
  8. I love fruits but not veggies... I can eat some but I'm a carb person. Lucky me, i'm average weighted ;)
    Have a nice week end

    ReplyDelete

i ♥ comments! so let me know what you think!
it's easier to reply to comments by email, so if you have no-reply I can't tell you how sweet your comment was.